Thursday, July 21, 2011

In the swing of things...

It's been a while since I've posted anything!  Let's see... what has happened since our last visit?

We've moved into our new rental house in Tacoma (the one I posted pictures of a while ago).
Adam has started the EMT portion of post-academy (so he's home every night now!)
I've been applying for classroom jobs, and substitute jobs.
I finished my Masters Degree!
We started attended a new church.  Soma Community in Tacoma. 

It's been a whirlwind, but I feel like we're finally getting settled into a routine.  Calvin is growing like a weed, and he makes us laugh every day.  We love where we live right now because we get to see friends and family more often. 

I have been asked what my plans are for the fall.  Do I teach, or do I stay home with Calvin?  At first I really wanted to stay home with him and just live on a VERY tight budget, but unfortunately, we just can't do that.  Not with those student loans looming overhead.  I hear people talk about staying home with their baby and doing whatever it takes to make that happen, but not everybody has that option. I think perhaps I'm sensitive about going back to work because I already feel like I haven't been able to give Calvin what's best for him.  Right from the beginning, I wasn't able to breastfeed.  For the first 3 weeks after he was born, I had something called "Rusty Pipe Syndrome."  Basically, I had blood in my milk.  And it wasn't just a little bit.  One time I pumped straight blood.  And then my milk just never really came in.  I tried putting him at my breast to stimulate the milk supply, I tried using a syringe to deposit milk into his mouth while he was at my breast, I tried just pumping after every bottle feeding, I tried fenugreek supplements, and I tried prescription medication. Even that didn't work. After six weeks, I gave up.  I was heartbroken about it because I never expected that would happen to me.  I just assumed everything would develop normally.  Oh well.  I got over it.  So now being able to stay home with him has just been another thing I can't give him.  

So the "plan" is either 1) I get a full-time teaching job.  This would be fantastic because then I can pay off all of my student loans in less than 2 years OR save up for a good size downpayment on a house.  If I get my own classroom, Adam will have Calvin on days he's not working and we will either put Calvin in daycare for the other days, or pray that we find some friends and family who are willing to watch him on days Adam has to work. The nice thing is that Adam works 2 days and then has 4 days off.  2) I continue substitute teaching. This would give me the flexibility to only accept jobs on days that Adam is home with Calvin.  That way I can be a part-time stay-at-home-mom.  The downside to this is that I remember last year I was lucky if I found 3 jobs a week.  So the pay would not be as good.  And I don't really like substitute teaching.   So I am at peace with whatever situation arises, and praying God's will be done.  He knows what best for our family. 

As for our little grunion, Calvin, as of 4 weeks ago, was in the 90th percentile for weight, 60th percentile for height, and 75th percentile for head size.  He's now using both hands to grab for toys, and he likes to put his hands in his mouth. He reaches for my face when I'm talking to him, and for the book when I'm reading to him.  If I ever need to calm him down, I just give him his fleece blanket and a pacifier.  He uses his wrists to push the pacifier back into his mouth if it falls out, and he LOVES to put the blanket over his face. :)  What a weirdie.  He lifts his head and chest while on his tummy, and likes to sit on our laps while looking out at what's going on.  He doesn't need anybody to support his head anymore so we've put him in a "Bumbo" a few times, but he doesn't quite have the neck muscles to sit up on his own.  That noggin of his is just so heavy!  :) 

Calvin rarely cries, and if he does it's just because he's fighting a nap.  He sleeps very well through the night.  He'll sleep a 6 hour stretch and then a 3 hour stretch, so I get lots of sleep. Happy momma.
Calvin smiles ALL THE TIME now, and while he hasn't given us a solid giggle, he will smile and squeal.  That's a good enough laugh for me.  :)   He coos and tries to talk to us a lot.  Lately he has been saying "ooh oooh oooh" over, and over, and over again.  Yes Calvin, that noise is in fact coming from you. 

Well, that's all for now.  Please continue to keep us in your prayers:
1) That Adam would continue to be a successful firefighter throughout his probationary year
2) That we would know without a doubt what path to take regarding my teaching situation
3) That the house we are living in would not sell until March, when Adam's probationary year is over
4) That we would continue to grow in the Lord, He would show us the areas we need to work on, and we'd find community in our new church. 
5) For Calvin to be happy and healthy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment